February 25, 2009

रुकसत ए दिल्ली तेरी महफिल से जाता हूँ मै..,


So after a wonderful 2 plus weeks in Delhi I am off and the line of Poet Majaaz comes to mind.

Each time I visit, I find Delhi incredibly romantic, despite all its everyday problems. Perhaps it is the ability to see past these that I am most grateful for.


Jamma Masjid is one of the places I enjoyed visiting this time (twice). Built by Shahjahan, when he moved his capital to Delhi, the Mosque is primarily an elevated courtyard - built all in red sandstone. When not being used for worship, it serves as a picnic grounds for hundreds of visiting pilgrims - from near and far, I presume. Coteries, sitting on the ground, enjoying Biryani and Kababs were a mouthwatering sight to behold in their own right - but what attracts me to this place most is the kids that run around, friendly and oblivious to the world outside. They come by, asking to be photographed, scampering to tell their parents of what happened, shy and outgoing at the same time.




At the back of the courtyard, is a 20 foot square, outlined in yellow where the food for the pigeons is laid out. In Islam, doves and the pigeon clan in general, are respected and favored because they are believed to have assisted the prophet of Islam, Muhammad in distracting his enemies outside the cave of Thaw'r in the great Hijra. People come and place grain within this yellow square and the pigeons, in turn, leave the picnicking groups alone. Evey once in a while, a loud sound or a group of rambunctious kids send the pigeons flying.





What this picture does not communicate is the rapid fire flapping of the wings as these birds take off. At a mere 5 feet distance from them I could not but help involuntarily cover my head !

No comments: